Interested in Language
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Hello!

This is an exercise,in which we have to correct the mistakes.

Trains in London are more crowded than in Paris.

I think the mistake is the missing definite article "the" before "trains".
What can you say?

Is this homework?

Then who assigned the exercise?

The author of the book.

OK. In my opinion, "the" before the word "trains" is optional, not necessary. But you need "those" after "than".

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

The beloved expert Michael Swan says:

"We do not use the with ... plural nouns to talk about things in general."

He gives these examples:

a. Books are expensive. ("All books")
b. Life is complicated, ("The whole of life.")
c. Nothing can travel faster than light.

BUT sometimes "it is difficult to know whether or not to use the."

Mr. Swan gives this example: " I wish the trains were cleaner and more punctual."

He explains that "the" is proper because "the listener / reader knows which ... things we are talking about."

Only my examples:

"Teachers have a hard time." (Teachers in general.)

"I think the teachers should give us less homework." (You are perhaps talking with another student at the same school.)

Source: Mr. Swan's Practical English Usage (1995 edition) published by Oxford University Press.

I see.

What about this theory?

When saying "trains in London are more croweded than those in Paris" we are referring to the London trains for which we have to use the definite article "the"
When referring about trains in general, then the best variant would be :"Trains are faster than cars" without the use of the definite article "the"

Is this concept correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. In my opinion, "the" before the word "trains" is optional, not necessary. But you need "those" after "than".

Yes, or "the ones" in Paris.

No. "Trains in London" refer to all/typical trains in London. The definite article is not needed.

When saying "trains in London are more croweded than those in Paris" we are referring to the London trains for which we have to use the definite article "the"

We can talk about trains in London generally (no article) or all of them (article). If we omit the article, we are not saying that all trains in London are more crowded than those in Paris, which seems a sensible way of approaching the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back