Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Dear teachers,

What should I use in my objective, training or trainings? Is there such word as "trainings"?

Objective: To obtain a position of a secondary education Mathematics teacher in your institution to maximize my training/trainings....

Note: I've had lots of trainings

Last edited:
I don't recommend it, but the uncountable 'training' is now widely used countably in the sense of 'training course'. I don't think you can 'maximise' training. Better would be '... to build on my training' or '... to put into practice what I learnt while training'.

Last edited:
Dear teachers,

What does "to build on my training" means?

Here is my complete objective:
To obtain a position of a secondary education Mathematics teacher in your institution to maximize my training by sharing my learning experiences and acquired expertise in the field of mathematics.

Do I still have to change the word "maximize"?

Thanks again..

Here is my complete objective:
To obtain a position of a secondary education Mathematics teacher in your institution to maximize my training by sharing my learning experiences and acquired expertise in the field of mathematics.

Do I still have to change the word "maximize"?

You don't have to. 5jj gave you better alternatives.

Rover

Thanks teachers!

I got one more question.
What does "to build on my training" means?

Last edited:
I don't recommend it, but the uncountable 'training' is now widely used countably in the sense of 'training course'. I don't think you can 'maximise' training. Better would be '... to build on my training' or '... to put into practice what I learnt while training'.

Thankfully, I never hear that over on this side.

Yes :-(, it does happen over here - I don't know why, when there's a perfectly straightforward way to make it countable: just add course or session or whatever. I wonder if French has borrowed 'le training' - as they did with 'shopping', 'listing', 'parking'.... (Un parking is countable... :-?)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back