Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1642876949202.png

Hi.
Could the slang term be used in everyday conversation without raising any eyebrows?

I've heard it from time to time and have used it myself on occasion. The main issue with its usage is that it's just not something that comes up in conversations very much to begin with.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit old-fashioned. My father was fond of it because of its word-play aspect -- shoes too tight?

Not a teacher.

Like other members pointed out, it could be used in a casual conversation (even though it is definitely outdated), but surely not in a professional environment. Although I do hope you have the sensibility not to bring up the subject of "toe jam" in a professional environment either way.

I don't know if it's AmE or my ignorance, but I had never heard the term before I read this thread.

I don't know if it's AmE or my ignorance, but I had never heard the term before I read this thread.

Maybe you're just too young, chief. 🙂

Probably NSFW (warning about content):

It's the feet version of the rather revolting phrase "knob cheese", referring to the gunk that can collect around the foreskin. The proper name for this is "smegma".

John Lennon spoke of "toe jam" in "Come Together."

Monty Python made a lot of jokes about smegma.

The first time I'd ever heard of toe jam was the song by the brilliant David Byrne.

And Red Dwarf used it as a general curse word.
They used "smeg", which was never given a specific definition (although the intended meaning was clearly a general curse word) but, according to t'internet, Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) later asserted that it was a shortened version of "smegma".

What else would it be short for? I never thought that that needed clarification.

Great show! One of my all time favorite British shows.

I'm going to assume that the Italian home appliance company wasn't similarly conceived as an abbreviation.

I'm going to assume that the Italian home appliance company wasn't similarly conceived as an abbreviation.
I don't think I want to eat anything from one of their ovens! ;)

What else would it be short for? I never thought that that needed clarification.

Great show! One of my all time favorite British shows.
I imagine there are a lot of people who aren't/weren't familiar with the full word at all and just thought that "Smeg!" was an invented exclamation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back