Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have hear the phrases mostly in American English.

"View someone/something in a very/really positive/negative light."

When you view someone in a positive light. Does it mean that you create of a positive picture of that person in mind? and similarly when you view someone in a negative light, does it mean that you create a negative image of that person in your mind?

Does the expression also mean that you are forming a positive or negative opinion of a person with or without actually judging him?

When you view some event in a positive light. Does it mean that it is accepted to you and you regard it as a welcomed or healthy activity? And when you view some event in a negative like, does it mean that you don't like it?

Regards,
Aamir the Global citizen

I have heard these phrases mostly in American English.

"View someone/something in a very/really positive/negative light."

When you view someone in a positive light, does it mean that you create [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] a positive picture of that person in your mind? [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Similarly, when you view someone in a negative light, does it mean that you create a negative image of that person in your mind?

Does the expression also mean that you are forming a positive or negative opinion of a person with or without actually judging him/her?

When you view some event in a positive light, does it mean that it is [STRIKE]accepted[/STRIKE] acceptable to you and you regard it as a [STRIKE]welcomed[/STRIKE] welcome or healthy activity? [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] When you view some event in a negative [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] light, does it mean that you don't like it?

[STRIKE]Regards,
Aamir the Global citizen[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

I would say that seeing something or someone in a positive light is more like concentrating on the positive aspects of it/them. Conversely, seeing it/them in a negative light means that you concentrate more on the negative aspects.
I wouldn't say that seeing an event in a positive light necessarily means you find it welcome or healthy, although in some contexts that might be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back