Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I need a verb for this sentence which means to "remove" one's lust. What verb can I use? Is suppress okay? What are other options?

Harry had lusted after Laura for many years. But that night, she looked stunning. He drank and drank whiskey to in the hope of suppressing his unbridled lust.

I need a verb for this sentence which means to "remove" one's lust. What verb can I use? Is "suppress" okay? What are other options?

Harry had lusted after Laura for many years but that night no comma here she looked stunning. He drank [STRIKE]and drank[/STRIKE] more and more whiskey [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] in the hope of suppressing his unbridled lust.

Note my corrections above. If you don't want to repeat "lust", you could say "dampen his [burning] desire".

Can I also use "dampen" with lust?

I'm going to drink lots of tequila tonight. Maybe it will help dampen my lust for Anna. Maybe.

Practically speaking, drinking lots of booze will likely have the opposite effect. Alcohol tends to loosen inhibitions rather than dampen them.

Practically speaking, drinking lots of booze will likely have the opposite effect. Alcohol tends to loosen inhibitions rather than dampen them.

There is a conflict there isn't there? The spirit/mind is willing (inhibitions loosened), but the flesh is weak?

Some of the hardest battles are internal.

Supress is fine. Here are some other verbs:

- drown
- kill
- forget
- ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back