Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I wonder if the phrase "to snooze one's alarm" is natural in English (e. g. I snooze my alarm a couple of times before finally getting up).

I know exactly what you mean but I've never heard anybody say that.

If it isn't something people say, maybe it will catch on. 😊

Everybody is in agreement so far. We haven't heard anybody say that, but we know exactly what you mean.

I guess what you're asking is if you should use it. Well, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are some native speakers who say that now. Should I talk to my usage consultant?

I heard it here (0:20):

I know exactly what you mean but I've never heard anybody say that.
I'm afraid I have. It's not something I'd say - like 5jj I'd put my alarm on snooze. Call me old-fashioned, but to me the documentation for anything technical seerms to be written in some kind of pidgin English:(😉

She says this:

I might snooze it a couple of times

I consider snooze it an example of a very casual style that I wouldn't encourage most of my learners to imitate. If you want to go for a more 'proper' but still casual style, as a teacher, I'd tell you to say it like this:

I might hit snooze a couple of times

Using words as verbs when they're not usually used as verbs (verbing) can come across as lazy language. I don't think I'm being unfair to say that such verbing is perhaps more typical of young people like the girl in the video. I know 'snooze' is a verb, of course, but when she uses the word, she doesn't mean the action of snoozing. She's talking about the function on her phone, so it is a creative case of a noun being used as a verb.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back