Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I can understand the whole concept of the below sentence but to my mind a preposition, either [from] or [on] is required after [starting]. what do you think? The impression I get from the following sentence without above mentioned prepositions is wierd.

Shortly after Health Canada’s announcement, Alberta announced that every Albertan aged 12 and older will be eligible and able to register to receive this vaccine starting Monday. Ontario said Wednesday that plans are being made to start vaccinating Ontarians ages 12 to 18, but there’s no firm timeline on when they’ll be able to book their shots yet.

I also don't remember from what website I copied the sentence.

Thank you in advance.

The Monday after the article appeared is the first day that those Albertans will be able to get the vaccine.

The Monday after the article appeared is the first day that those Albertans will be able to get the vaccine.

You didn't get my point. My problem is not understanding the meaning of the sentence, but it is the grammatical structure of it.

There is no article after [starting]. That's the issue.

compare the following sentences:

Albertan aged 12 and older will be eligible to receive this vaccine starting Monday

Albertan aged 12 and older will be eligible to receive this vaccine starting
from Monday

You are asking about a preposition, not an article. It could say "starting on Monday," but it is fine without the "on."

You could also substitute starting for from.

starting Monday = from Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back