Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think the context means the chickens are not realize their fate. How should I understand the underlined part?

Instead he turned the chicken factory into a kind of creepy, brightly colored Disneyland for chickens. The free-range "Fun-Land Farms" is just a little too happy. The birds are having so much fun bouncing on marshmallows to realize their fate.

Source: It took 23 years, but a 'Chicken Run' sequel has finally hatched
by Elizabeth Blair

I think the context means the chickens are not don't realize their fate. (You've simply repeated the phrase in the text!) How should I understand the underlined part?

Instead he turned the chicken factory into a kind of creepy, brightly colored Disneyland for chickens. The free-range "Fun-Land Farms" is just a little too happy. The birds are having so much fun bouncing on marshmallows to realize their fate.

Source: It took 23 years, but a 'Chicken Run' sequel has finally hatched
by Elizabeth Blair
It means they were having so much fun, they didn't have time to think about or understand the fact that they would shortly be killed.

Is it natural/common to say having so much fun... to realize their fate? Usually I'd expect the bolded word to be "too".

I wouldn't think chickens would have any idea of how they are going to end up (their fate). After all, they're chickens. They literally have bird brains.

I wouldn't think chickens would have any idea of how they are going to end up (their fate). After all, they're chickens. They literally have bird brains.
This is an article about a clay animation movie.:ROFLMAO:

Is it natural/common to say having so much fun... to realize their fate? Usually I'd expect the bolded word to be "too".
If "so" is used, "to realize their fate" should be changed to "that they don't realize their fate":

The birds are having too much fun bouncing on marshmallows to realize their fate.
The birds are having so much fun bouncing on marshmallows that they don't realize their fate.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back