Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Source: Upstream Proficiency by Virginia Evans and Jenny Dooley

1679629729720.png

I can't find anything for this case in the dictionary:

The answer key:

1679629933418.png

To put on means to produce a play etc. It is about show business.

This item in the list looks suspicious to me. I would even just skip it in learning.

Could you comment: whether this item is worth memorising in this very context?

You have made a typo in the title.

"To put on (a performance/concert/show)" is a phrasal verb. What do you mean by "worth memorising"?
Do you choose what phrasal verbs you want to learn?
I don't think you need to consciously memorise them, as with other things in a language. It comes naturally as you do more reading.

Last edited:
I have, on occasion, been known to put on a good performance on a tennis court.

Source: Upstream Proficiency by Virginia Evans and Jenny Dooley

View attachment 5275
I can't find anything for this case in the dictionary:
Look at definition #8 in your source. It's not limited to just theatrical performances, as 5jj mentions. Check out definition #13 here. or definition #2 here.

Sometimes it's helpful to check multiple dictionaries.

This item in the list looks suspicious to me. I would even just skip it in learning.

Could you comment: whether this item is worth memorising in this very context?

There's nothing at all "suspicious" about it. As for learning it - 'put on' is a pretty common phrasal verb that is widely used, precisely because it does have so many different meanings. It lends itself to many different situations because of all the different possible meanings.

It's one I teach and have my students learn when I cover phrasal verbs, although I generally only cover a few of the meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back