Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question what motivates you can I answer it in the following way?
"Probably this is the motivation to be successful, to have well-being and happiness.

Does "have well-being" and "happiness" sound idiomatic?

Context: it is used in a conversation with a friend.

I would use a dash or a colon (not a comma). However, that's not what your question is about. As for that, it's perfectly fine.

Distinguish the words you are asking about from the main text as I have done in the two examples below. The question What motivates you? needs a question mark.

When answering the question "What motivates you?", can I answer it in the following way?
When answering the question What motivates you?, can I answer it in the following way?

Note that there is no hyphen in "wellbeing". Also, "to have wellbeing" is unnatural. We usually talk about wellbeing as a possession. For example:
I'm concerned about his wellbeing.
I'm planning to improve my wellbeing this year.
Come to my talk on Thursday evening about improvements you can make to your wellbeing in 2023.

@Rachel Adams Well, since you're stating your opinion, you can put almost anything there. (I didn't know wellbeing isn't hyphenated. Hm.)

Note that there is no hyphen in "wellbeing". Also, "to have wellbeing" is unnatural. We usually talk about wellbeing as a possession. For example:
I'm concerned about his wellbeing.
I'm planning to improve my wellbeing this year.
Come to my talk on Thursday evening about improvements you can make to your wellbeing in 2023.
Can I change the original sentence into
"Probably this is the motivation to be successful, my wellbeing and happiness?"
Does "this is" sound natural or it should be "that is" or "it is"? I also removed " to have happiness". Or does it sound natural?

No. If you remove "successful" and "happiness", you're left with "Probably this is the motivation to be my wellbeing".

Even "this is the motivation to my wellbeing" isn't right.

It's a totally new idea to me that you need a motivation to be successful.

Beth: I think you need to do something about your general health. You'll feel so much better if you look after yourself properly.
Robert: I just can't be bothered. It's such hard work and it takes so long. I'm not motivated by just the prospect of feeling better.
Beth: I will give you a million dollars if you stop drinking, stop smoking, eat more fruit and veg and exercise regularly.
Robert: Now THAT'S motivation to improve my wellbeing. I'm off to the gym. See ya later!

@emsr2d2 Yes, a million dollars would be a motivation. 😊

No. If you remove "successful" and "happiness", you're left with "Probably this is the motivation to be my wellbeing".

Even "this is the motivation to my wellbeing" isn't right.
Sorry, how do I change the original answer to the question "What motivates you?", can I use this answer or not ? "Probably this is the motivation to be successful, my wellbeing and happiness."

"Probably this is my motivation to be successful: my wellbeing and happiness."
The "Probably" indicates you're not sure what your motivation is.

Sorry, how do I change the original answer to the question "What motivates you?", can I use this answer or not ? "Probably this is the motivation to be successful, my wellbeing and happiness."
I don't really know what you're trying to express. Are you saying that "my wellbeing and happiness" are your motivations "to be successful". If so, that doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back