Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Business as usual isn't the model for us to have going. (quoted from washingtonpost.com)

So don't tell me about your success
Nor your recipes for my happiness
Smoke in bed, I never could digest
The illusions you claim to have going.
(Rich Folks Hoax, written and performed by Sixto Rodriguez)

We do hear the expressions "to have something going", as in I've got a few things going at the moment. (e.g. business or other prospects taking shape), and "to get something going": It was freezing this morning but I was able to get the car going. However, I don't understand the phrase in bold. I really don't see it as a set phrase, which is why I haven't been able to find it in dictionaries.

Your understanding of 'to have something going' is correct, and probably the quote from washingtonpost.com is related to that. It would need some further context to be certain. You shouldn't expect song lyrics to be an example of correct usage, although this one seems pretty close.

You shouldn't expect song lyrics to be an example of correct usage

I couldn't agree more. I'm trying to make sure my students are well aware of that.

I really don't see it as a set phrase, which is why I haven't been able to find it in dictionaries.

I don't see it as one either.

The song lyrics use the phrase in the same sense as the Post quote. The illusions you have going are the illusions you have occurring or happening in your head.

That meaning is also close to going on: What's going on at your house?

The meaning of getting a car going is more literal. The car might not be in motion, but it's now able to go. I turned the key to get the car going. We use the word running in similar way: It cost me $500 in new parts to get the car running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back