Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello!

I have recently come across the following phrase:

"The most difficult part about the Environmental Film Festival is deciding which of the movies to go see."

I´m wondering if I could substitute the part "..which of the movies to go see" for: "..which of the movies go to see" . In fact, the latter sounds fine to my ears but not the former.

Thank you in advance.

***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

I´m wondering if I could substitute the part "..which of the movies to go see" for: "..which of the movies go to see" . In fact, the latter sounds fine to my ears but not the former.
The movies can't go anywhere, you go to see them.

The correct form is "...which of the movies to go to see".

The correct form is "...which of the movies to go to see".

to can be omitted, can't it?

The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary says:
In spoken English go can be used with and plus another verb to show purpose or to tell sb what to do: I’ll go and answer the door.
xsym.gif
Go and get me a drink! The
and is sometimes left out, especially in NAmE: Go ask your mom!

to can be omitted, can't it?

The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary says:
In spoken English go can be used with and plus another verb to show purpose or to tell sb what to do: I’ll go and answer the door.
xsym.gif
Go and get me a drink! The
and is sometimes left out, especially in NAmE: Go ask your mom!

Yes, you could say "go and see", but I wouldn't say "go see".

Hello!

I have recently come across the following phrase:

"The most difficult part about the Environmental Film Festival is deciding which of the movies to go see."

Thank you in advance.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon.

(1) Yes, Americans often use go/come + simple infinitive.

(2) This is now done in conversation.

(3) One language expert says that this construction was once used in older English, too.

(4) Here are some examples: (Notice it's quite popular in the imperative)

(a) Go lie down.
(b) I'll go see.
(c) Come sit here.
(d) Go jump in the lake! (when you are angry with someone)

(5) One expert gives these examples:

You will come to see us, won't you? > You will come and see us, won't you? > You will come see us, won't you?

(6) One expert explains that this kind of sentence has "the punch and directness of speech."

Thank you.

Hello again!

Thank you very much for your responses.
I forgot to tell that I had seen this phrase in an american web site. Now that I know it is corect, it doesn´t sound that bad, hehe.;-):)

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back