Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
(00:17)

What does it mean to get to get scripts with some of those public services?

It's '... get to grips with ...'.
This clip has the second subtitles which appear to be of bad quality from the very beginning.

I hear that at first she stumbled, forgetting to insert the "r": "get to gips-- grips".

This clip has the second subtitles which appear to be of bad quality from the very beginning.

They're not 'bad quality'—they're automatically generated! That means they're written by a machine, not a real person who understands language. Naturally, there are going to be a lot of errors both major and minor.

They're not 'bad quality'—they're automatically generated! That means they're written by a machine, not a real person who understands language. Naturally, there are going to be a lot of errors both major and minor.
Can I use such subtitles to improve my listening skills?

Can I use such subtitles to improve my listening skills?
It depends on the quality of the auto-generated subtitles. If they're pretty good, they'll help you get the gist of what's being said. If they're bad, they really won't help you. In general, try to use content that has subtitles that were made by a human, preferably a native speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back