Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone is suitable for something. Are these correct? Is it okay to use them in a statement of purpose for a university or a job request?

1. Working in academia would fit me like a glove as I'm passionate about academic work and doing research.
2. This field of study fits me like a glove as my areas of interest and research align perfectly with the curriculum of the Master's program of this major.
3. This job fits Jane like a glove. It has flexible hours and their office is close to her place.
4. I think playing in L.A Lakers would fit him like a glove. They need a player with his features.
5. Dating Jess would fit him like a glove. I think they are compatible.
6. I'm really happy with my job. It fits me like a glove. I get to use all my creativity and I never get bored.

I want to say someone is suitable for suited to something. Are these correct? Is it okay to use them in a statement of purpose for a university or a job request application?

4. I think playing in for the L.A Lakers would fit him like a glove. They need a player with his features talents/skills.

I have very little experience of SOPs but it strikes me that "fit(s) like a glove" is a rather casual term to use. I've left sentence 4 in place above because it needed other corrections. Note, though, that I found the use of the simile particularly out of place in sentence 5. It doesn't work at all in that context.

I have very little experience of SOPs but it strikes me that "fit(s) like a glove" is a rather casual term to use. I've left sentence 4 in place above because it needed other corrections. Note, though, that I found the use of the simile particularly out of place in sentence 5. It doesn't work at all in that context.
So are these correct and natural-sounding now? (being informal aside)

1. Working in academia would fit me like a glove as I'm passionate about academic work and doing research.
2. This field of study fits me like a glove as my areas of interest and research align perfectly with the curriculum of the Master's program of this major.
3. This job fits Jane like a glove. It has flexible hours and their office is close to her place.
4. I think playing for the L.A Lakers would fit him like a glove. They need a player with his skills.
5. I'm really happy with my job. It fits me like a glove. I get to use all my creativity and I never get bored.

They're OK. I wouldn't be any more complimentary about them than that.

How about would suit me down to the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back