to complement has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
pCivJV2.png

GKGirKc.png

Which does this sentence mean?

a. 'to complement' has 'to do with enhancing or improving something' when combined with it.

b. 'to complement' has to 'do with enhancing or improving something' when combined with it.

Why have you stated the same sentence twice?

When A complements B, they match(enhance) each other and combine to make something complete.

e.g. The two partners of the company complement each with their strengths in the different areas - A in marketing and management and B in production and operation.

Last edited:
Why have you stated the same sentence twice?
a. 'to complement' has 'to do with enhancing or improving something' when combined with it.
b. 'to complement' has to 'do with enhancing or improving something' when combined with it.
---------
But I think (a) and (b) are different. Please notice the
quotation marks.

Where are those sentences from?

Note that a sentence should begin with a capital letter.

I don't think you need the quotation marks since it is a direct explanation of the phrase "to complement".
Quotation marks are used in pairs. Why is there a third quotation mark?

'To complement' has
to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it.

And if you want to quote it: "'To complement' has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it."
But I don't understand the question.

Where are those sentences from?

GKGirKc.png

Quotation marks are used in pairs. Why is there a third quotation mark?
Where is a third quotation mark? :shock:
-----
b. 'to complement' has to'do with enhancing or improving something'when combined with it.

And if you want to quote it: "'To complement' has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it."
But I don't understand the question.
My question is that I don't know how to understand the sentence since there is no quotation mark in it.
GKGirKc.png

a. 'To complement' has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it.
b. 'To complement' has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it.
---------
So (a) is correct to understand the original sentence, not (b). Am I right?

Last edited:
Neither is appropriate. If you are going to use quotation marks, then it's

'To complement' has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it.
Thank you, but what exactly confuses me is that I don't know that I should read it as '... has ...' or '... has to ...'.
------
'To complement' has to do with ...
'To complement' has to (= must) do with ...
------
Could you understand my question?
:)

Last edited:
The phrase "has to do with" is used to explain what something entails or is about, rather than to do with "must".

https://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?q=has+to+do+with&l=0
Thank you. I just found the following:

have/be to do with somebody/something to be about something, be related to something, or be involved with something
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/do-with
--------
So I think my question has got answered. :)
------
to complement has to do with enhancing or improving something when combined with it.
(= to complement is about enhancing or improving something when combined with it.)
------
Am I right?

Kadio, as everyone has said, the quotation marks aren't needed and don't help.

More importantly, do you get the difference between complement and compliment?

Kadio, as everyone has said, the quotation marks aren't needed and don't help.
This was because I didn't know be/have to do with somebody/something is an idiom, which means 'to be about or connected with somebody/something'.

I confused it with 'have to' (meaning 'must') and a single 'have' (meaning 'to show a quality or feature'). :oops:

More importantly, do you get the difference between complement and compliment?
Yes, I do.

Which Word?
compliment / complement

These words have similar spellings but completely different meanings.
If you compliment someone, you say something very nice to them: She complimented me on my English.
If one thing complements another, the two things work or look better because they are together: The different flavours complement each other perfectly.

The adjectives are also often confused.
Complimentary: She made some very complimentary remarks about my English. It can also mean ‘free’: There was a complimentary basket of fruit in our room.
Complementary: The team members have different but complementary skills.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/compliment_2

Last edited:
This could have been solved 15 posts ago if you said your problem was "has to do with".

Raymott could have used past perfect there but he judged that the past simple was sufficient to get his meaning across effectively.

Actually, I didn't even think about it, knowing that it was correct and sufficient. Yes, I could have used a different form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back