Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Please, does he say "so" or "some" at 5:33: into the rivers in Kiev to be so baptized?

Last edited:
I've listened to it five times and I can't make out what he meant to say. It certainly sounds like "some", or at least there's an "m" sound before "baptized".

Would "so" make sense there? The meaning would be, to be so (in such a way) baptized?

May I ask possible "listening" issues on that film in this thread?

At 8:32, is it fight off previous aggressors to the south the Khanate of Kazan? What is supposed to be after south? Maybe a pause, a comma?

As to your first question I think he says "so baptized". I can't be certain because he doesn't clearly enunciate the "so", but so in the sense of thus makes sense. The second question does not arise for me because I think he clearly says "the khanate of Kazam." You are right that there should be a comma before the.

I don't know how long it is, but it is very long. It's very interesting. I probably went right past the part you mentioned. (I had to stop listening because it was past my bedtime.)

My best guess is that he says to be sort of baptised.

Yes, he says the Khanate of Kazan.

Hello,
From the same video - what is in brackets, please?

23:00, does he say "as"?
facing the Germans <as> their primary antagonists

23:08, what is in brackets?
Nicholas for so long countenanced this charlatan Rasputin in his various <...> antics around the court, <...> antics that everyone read about enthusiastically in all kinds of sort of yellow papers.

37:05, is it "though"?
so the Cheka evolved <though> its mission stayed the same

37:36,
everyone just <...> keeps their head down

38:03, is it though and out in brackets?
This was a grievous terrible period in Soviet history, where the secret police were themselves ironically enough often consumed, <though> they would be carrying out these executions arresting people often by quota and then would themselves be shot. Others found <out> Gulags where very many people perished or died constructing canals in the frozen north.

43:29, is that deaths?
more people died in the defense of the Leningrad than the total British American and French war <deaths> through the entire war

this was really a disaster that nobody had ever seen before and never really imagined at this scale

1:04:59, is it "of"?
this was really a disaster that nobody had ever seen before and never really imagined <of> this scale

Last edited:
23:08, what is in brackets?
Nicholas for so long countenanced this charlatan Rasputin in his various <dissolute> antics around the court, <dissolute> antics that everyone read about enthusiastically in all kinds of sort of yellow papers.
dissolute

I've listened to it five times and I can't make out what he meant to say. It certainly sounds like "some", or at least there's an "m" sound before "baptized".
I had to listen to it several times, but I think I finally got it. He's saying "sum" not "some"!

"Sum baptized" is a (rather odd) way of saying they baptized the whole sum of them - i.e. in very large groups all at once instead of individually dunking them as we normally think of baptism. Moments before, he's talking about how they forcibly converted them to Christianity by driving them into the river at spear point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back