Academic
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello everyone.
So far, I had always read and written "to be contrasted with". However I have recently come across "to be contrasted to" and I have searched on a search engine and noticed that this formulation is used in many books, for example:
The Canadian approach can be contrasted to the approach of other systems. Most obviously, it can be contrasted to the constitutional status of the privilege against self-incrimination in the United States.
Furthermore, since the intellect is primarily passive, it can be contrasted to the will, the faculty of spiritual striving (...)
What Caird means by this statement is that while a universal judgement may be contrasted to a particular one, an affirmation to a negation or limitation (...)

Has "to be contrasted to" exactly the same sense as "to be contrasted with"?

Thank you for your answer.

Yes.

You'll probably hear and see with more often.

[STRIKE]Has[/STRIKE] Does "to be contrasted to" have exactly the same sense as "to be contrasted with"?
See above. Your version is grammatical and understandable, but not generally used by American English speakers.

I find contrasted to odd, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were to become common. Preposition choices often change over time.

See above. Your version is grammatical and understandable, but not generally used by American English speakers.

I find contrasted to odd, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were to become common. Preposition choices often change over time.
The same goes for British English speakers, and I daresay every other variety, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back