Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
a) She waited for me till five o'clock.
b) She waited for me until five o'clock.

Is it correct that "until" can't be used before a number like "five"?

Which one is correct?

a) She waited for me till five o'clock.
b) She waited for me until five o'clock.

Is it correct that "until" can't be used before a number like "five"?

Which one is correct?
Where did you get the idea that "until" can't be used there? "Until" and "till" are two spellings of the same word so if one can be used, so can the other. The only difference is formality - I wouldn't use "till" at all in an exam setting.

What is "a number like five"?

I wouldn't use "till" at all in an exam setting.

Perhaps we should make it clear that if the exam were an English language exam, it may well be highly appropriate to use casual language such as 'till', whether in speaking or writing. It all depends on the type of discourse that's being tested.

Where did you get the idea that "until" can't be used there? "Until" and "till" are two spellings of the same word so if one can be used, so can the other. The only difference is formality - I wouldn't use "till" at all in an exam setting.

What is "a number like five"?
What I understand from your post is that when choosing between 'till' and 'until' on a test or exam, I should choose 'until.'

What I understand from your post is that when choosing between 'till' and 'until' on a test or exam, I should choose 'until.'
That's my opinion but, as you can see from post #4, jutfrank doesn't agree. I see their point. If you're at a very high level and are taking an oral exam, it would be acceptable to use "till" if you're showing that you can use the sort of casual everyday English that native speakers use. It would have to fit with the rest of what you're saying though.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back