Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. throughout the year 2021
2. throughout the 2021 year
3. throughout the school year 2020-2021
4. throughout the 2020-2021 school year
Which of the above expressions is not acceptable to native speakers?

I prefer the first one* and the last one. (In each case because that's what I'm used to.)

--- --- --- --- ---------------- ------;--------------------
*,You could also say: throughout 2021.

Last edited:
It's hard to say without a full sentence. Please use each one in a complete sentence. I think you've been a member long enough to know that it's hard for us to comment on fragments.

1. We're going to be releasing videos weekly throughout the year 2021 covering 16 chapters in what is typically presented in your average high school chemistry course.

2. We're going to be releasing videos weekly throughout the 2021 year covering 16 chapters in what is typically presented in your average high school chemistry course.

3. We're going to be releasing videos weekly throughout the school year 2020-2021 covering 16 chapters in what is typically presented in your average high school chemistry course.

4. We're going to be releasing videos weekly throughout the 2020-2021 school year covering 16 chapters in what is typically presented in your average high school chemistry course.

1. Yes, I would use that one.
4. Yes, I would use that one.

I would change the last part. For one thing, if I am a high school student I would have no idea what is taught in a typical high school chemistry course. Instead, what would be relevant to me would be what I am going to learn in the course I'm going to be taking. Perhaps instead say:

... covering every chapter in the textbook.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "covering 16 chapters in what is typically presented in your average high school chemistry course"? Do you mean there will be 16 videos, or do you mean that the videos will cover the same content as 16 chapters of a standard high school chemistry textbook? I wonder if you're wrongly using "chapters". That refers to sections of a book, not to individual videos of a series. Those are called episodes.

It's quoted from the above video.

Now we have the context, we can say that only sentence 4 is appropriate. The part 2020-2021 is modifying school year, which is why it comes before. It tell us which school year he's referring to.

Please save our time by giving us the full context in the original post in the future. Thank you.

Can I say: "In the 2019-2020 academic year , 140,000 students were enrolled at the college"?

Yes. That's what I was trying to explain in post#10.

I would just simply say...

"Throughout 2021."
"Throughout 2020 and 2021."
"Throughout the 2020 and 2021 school year."

I am not a teacher.

There's an important difference between "throughout 2020", "throughout 2021" and "throughout the 2020-2021 school year".

The first means Jan 1, 2020 to Dec 31, 2020.
The second means Jan 1, 2021 to Dec 31, 2021.
The third means (in the UK) September 2020 to July 2021. That's the academic year. School starts sometime in the first week of September and ends around the second week of July.

It's quoted from the above video.
Videos don't necessarily cover the niceties of grammar, even that they are meant to be covering. The internet does many wonderful things, but don't expect grammatical perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back