Those are the [...] for the colors in the rainbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(On the English Language program Let's Talk in English)

Peter: I always forget.
What are the colors of the rainbow?

Pauline:
R G BIV.

Peter: R G BIV. That's not a color.

Pauline: Those are the [clutters] for the colors in the rainbow. R G BIV. R - red. G - green. And BIV is B for blue and V for Violet.

Peter: Oh, OK. Well, thanks. Anyway, let's go ahead and learn our key words for today. Here's Jack.
------------
I am not sure about the text in red. Could you help me with that?

Last edited:
Those are the initials for the colors...

No. You are right, I can't. She seems to say "cletters". I guess she stumbled over the word, and for some reason the producers left it in. Perhaps they do not have sufficient funds to do editing or retakes.

Two things:

1) What the hell is Pauline talking about? 'clutters'?!
2) What the hell is Pauline talking about? What happened to orange, yellow and indigo?! And why pronounce 'biv' like that if you're not going to include indigo?

The script should have gone something like this:

Pauline: Roy G. Biv.
Peter: That's not a color.
Pauline: No, that's a way to help you remember them. Each letter in the name is the initial of a color. ROYGBIV: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

I think she forgot indigo, though she may not have filled the full spectrum.

There does not seem to be universal agreement that indigo should be included. Newton's original list was red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet. The Wikipedia article Visible Spectrum adheres to the Newton version.

Myself, I have always found Newton a tough guy to go up against :-D

Last edited:
And for my part, the colours are as they appear in the song I Can Sing a Rainbow:

"Red and yellow and pink and green, orange and purple and blue."

Richard of York gave battle in vain.

Or without indigo: Rip off your great big vest.

(I made that last one up.)

Really, only your grandmother, Betty, is violent. (Everybody else's is a pacifist, honestly.)

Ratting on your gay brother is vindictive.

I'll stop now.

Hi, jutfrank

I don't really understand what you said from post #9~#11. :oops:

The sentences are mnemonics. The first letter of each word is the first letter of a colour of the visible spectrum of light. The sentence Richard of York gave battle in vain corresponds to Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet, and it is the one that most British people know. The other ones were jutfrank having a bit of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back