Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "This was not aided by the fact that", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

There followed another highly technical discussion, the content of which was obscure at best and as the minutes stretched onward, I began to lose track of what was actually under discussion.

This was not aided by the fact that interpretation can be profoundly disorienting, you can be so caught up in the minutiae of the act, in trying to maintain utmost fidelity to the words being spoken first by the subject and then by yourself, that you do not necessarily apprehend the sense of the sentences themselves: you literally do not know what you are saying. Language loses its meaning. This was happening to me now, in the conference room. I was absorbed by the task at hand, of decoding the legalese in which the content of the discussion was encased, so securely that nothing seemed to penetrate and nothing escaped.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 9

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is interpreting for the accused in the conference room, but is beginning to lose track of what is being said.

In this part, I wonder what is not aided. o_O
Would that mean, that the idea about the disorienting nature of the interpretation gave no comfort to her, who is experiencing the phenomenon in which she began to lose track of discussion...? (Though this is just my guess.)

It didn't help that in addition to losing track of what was actually being talked about is the fact that the act of interpretation itself is confusing by nature.

Not only is interpretation confusing, it's even more confusing to try and interpret when you're not even clear on what you're supposed to be interpreting.

Last edited:
@Coffee Break Please work on making your posts shorter. (They tend to be rather long, and by the time I get to the end I have forgotten what the question is. 😊)

@teechar, @Skrej, and @Tarheel ,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So it would mean that:
(1) The protagonist began to not understand the discussion; and
(2) In addition to that, basically, interpretation can be disorienting.

So (2) actually comes before (1) logically, but the protagonist is revealing the foundation for disorientation (2) later than (1).

And "not aided by" would mean "was not helpful," meaning "to make matters worse," or "on top of that," or "in addition to that."

And I would try to make my questions shorter! It' just that I always tend to say many words... 😂

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

1. I would word it a little differently. I would say it got to the point where he didn't understand what was being said (very bad for an interpreter).

2. He might be saying that, but I wouldn't take it to be a general truth.

I think your interpretation is correct. (Admittedly, I haven't reread the entire thread.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back