Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Should the phrase "This post includes affiliate links" be "This post includes affiliated links"? Affiliate is not an adjective.

===================
Does Vitamin B1 or B12 Supplements Repel Mosquitoes from Biting You?

"This post includes affiliate links for which I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase."
Mosquitoes are bad news, and not just because they’re dreadfully annoying. Believe it or not, mosquitoes are the world’s deadliest insects to humans, thanks to the many diseases they carry.

Source: Fighting Mosquitos
https://fightingmosquitoes.com/does-vitamin-b1-or-b12-prevent-mosquito-bites/

Affiliate in affiliate links is the noun used as an adjective. It simply means the links to the affiliates. Affiliated (participle) links means something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
affiliate links = links to affiliates (affiliated sites/companies/etc.)
affiliated links = links which are affiliated (to/with us) [This means the links are affiliated, which doesn't work].

Affiliate in affiliate links is the a noun used as an adjective.
The word is affiliate.
I referred specifically to the noun of the word as distinct from the verb of the word.

Last edited:
And that's what he told you. The noun is used as an adjective here, the same as when "car" becomes an adjective in "car door."

They are not "affiliated links." They are link to affiliates. Or "affiliate links, for short.

I referred specifically to the noun [STRIKE]of the word[/STRIKE] as distinct from the verb. [STRIKE]of the word.[/STRIKE]
No, you did not!
You never said that the word "affiliate" can be a noun or a verb. Had you said that, then the definite article might have worked.

tedmc, we don't use the terms "the noun of the word" or "the verb of the word".

tedmc, we don't use the terms "the noun of the word" or "the verb of the word".

Use the terms "the noun form of the word" or "the verb form of the word"?

Affiliate is both a noun and a verb (like many other words).

I was referring to the noun/noun form of the word. Is there any difference or is it just being pedantic?

Last edited:
Affiliate is both a noun and a verb (like many other words).

I was referring to the noun/noun form of the word. Is there any difference or is it just being pedantic?

Is what being pedantic? What does "it" refer to?

If your question is "Is there any difference between 'I was referring to the noun of the word' and 'I was referring to the noun form of the word'?" then the answer is yes. The first is ungrammatical as you've already been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back