This is the caption for a picture I posted online. It's of a burger branch in Asia t

• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,701
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

This is the caption for a picture I posted online. It's of a burger branch in Asia trying to imitate In-N-out in California. It says:

Hmmm... Take a wild guess! WRONG AGAIN. This is NOT "caliburger" and never will be; That cruddy, rinky dinky thing you call a burger should and will always stay where it belongs.... Quit trying to prove otherwise because your actions have only made you look like a small minded jealous little person that has NO knowledge of burgers whatsoever... So, pls just stop your pity begrudging and let my buddies and I have this delicious authentic in-N-out burger in PEACE. Will the REAL CALIFORNIA BURGER PLEASE STAND UP. ATTENTION. HUT..1..2..3..

It's just very casual and kinda like an advertisement in a way.

Casualness does not excuse bad grammar.

'...let my buddies and ME...'

Wait, I thought it was always supposed to be:

My friends and I... Not me...

No?

How does the rest of the sentence look grammatically? It's mainly for effect.

Shouldn't this part be plural since there's more than one burger:

So, pls just stop your pity begrudging and let my buddies and I have these delicious authentic in-N-out burgers in PEACE.

Last edited:
Wait, I thought it was always supposed to be:

My friends and I... Not me...

No?

I am not a teacher.

No. Would you ever say, 'Let I have this delicious burger'? I thought not.

When in doubt, reduce the phrase to its simplest form and it will become clear whether the subject or object pronoun is required.

What about the rest of the sentence? Is it grammatical?

I am not a teacher.

I think 'pity begrudging' should be 'petty begrudging' but otherwise, if spoken, it would be grammatical despite its very informal style. As written it has a host of other problems.

I am not a teacher.

I'm referring to the erratic use of capitals, ending a sentence with an ellipsis, using a semicolon as a full stop, 'pls' instead of 'please', and so on. All unnoticeable in speech.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I'm writing it as a caption so it's not really spoken... The semi-colon is used wrongly here?

You followed it with a capital letter, so it should be a full stop, and 'kinda' is not acceptable when addressing us.

What if I change That to that?

And what do you mean kinda is not acceptable when addressing us?

It would work.

'Kinda' is non-standard English. Say 'kind of'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back