Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "Who’s the smartest person you know?" Can I use "program" instead of "show", "the" before "Genius" word order in "a" and "this is"?

"I think one of the smartest people was Michael Hawking. This is recognized by a.the Genius program/b. by the program Genius."

Context: It's a question about who is the smartest person in my opinion? I am just sharing my opinion.

I don't understand the first one.

Are you talking about a TV program?

No explanation was needed at that point. (It's not additional context, and there is a punctuation error.)

Last edited:
When answering the question "Who’s the smartest person you know?", can I use "program" instead of "show", "the" before "Genius" word order in "a", and "this is"?

I think one of the smartest people was Michael Hawking. This is recognized by ...
a. the Genius program
b. by the program Genius.

Context: It's a question about who is the smartest person is, in my opinion. I am just sharing my opinion.
Note my corrections and improvement to the layout above. I'm as confused as Tarheel. What is "the Genius program"? If you're talking about a TV show, b) should read "by the [TV] program Genius" (note the use of italics for the title of TV shows, films and books). Do you mean Stephen Hawking? I've never heard of Michael Hawking.

Note my corrections and improvement to the layout above. I'm as confused as Tarheel. What is "the Genius program"? If you're talking about a TV show, b) should read "by the [TV] program Genius" (note the use of italics for the title of TV shows, films and books). Do you mean Stephen Hawking? I've never heard of Michael Hawking.
Yes, it's a TV show. It should be Stephen not Michael. Sometimes word are added by the phone itself. I didn't noticed that. So this is the correct version: "I think one of the smartest people was Stephen Hawking. This is recognized by the TV program/show Genius."
I can't use italics. Is my sentence correct now?

No. A TV show cannot recognise what you think.

"I think one of the smartest people was Stephen Hawking. This is recognized by the TV program/show Genius."
As 5jj pointed out, "This" (in sentence #2) appears to refer to "I think". That doesn't work. You'd have to use more words and say something like "I think Stephen Hawking was one of the smartest people [in the world]. My opinion is backed up by the people who make the TV show Genius".

As 5jj pointed out, "This" (in sentence #2) appears to refer to "I think". That doesn't work. You'd have to use more words and say something like "I think Stephen Hawking was one of the smartest people [in the world]. My opinion is backed up by the people who make the TV show Genius".
Oh, that's interesting. But if I remove "I think" and say "Stephen Hawking was one of the smartest people. This is backed up/recognized by the TV show Genius." Now "this is" refers to "the fact that he was the smartest person". Right?

Oh, that's interesting. But what if I remove "I think" and say "Stephen Hawking was one of the smartest people. This is backed up/recognized by the TV show Genius"? Now "this is" refers to "the fact that he was the smartest person". Right?
Yes. Who said it's a fact?

You can remove "I think" and it will mean the same thing. It is, after all, an opinion in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back