Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm trying to describe the hazy effect fire has on the air. Can I use "fire haze"?

firepit-backyard-orange-benches-840x560-75.jpg

Are these correct and natural?

1. Later that afternoon, they sat around the firepit. Sam gazed at Laura through the flames, her face distorted and blurry through the fire haze.
2. Later that afternoon, they sat around the firepit. Sam gazed at Laura through the fire haze, her face splashed with flickering firelight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were they on opposite sides of the fire? Was it just them?

I'd call it "heat haze". The same phrase is used for the shimmering haze you can see sometimes in very hot weather.

Were they on opposite sides of the fire? Was it just them?

Yes.
No, it was a gathering. A few friends. But Sam's attention was focused on Laura.

I'd call it "heat haze". The same phrase is used for the shimmering haze you can see sometimes in very hot weather.

Are these okay?

1. Later that afternoon, they sat around the firepit in the patio. Sam gazed at Laura through the flames, her face distorted and blurry through the heat haze.
2. Later that afternoon, they sat around the firepit in the patio. Sam gazed at Laura through the heat haze above the flames, her face splashed with flickering firelight.

I like the second one better.

If it's nighttime the fire should make it easier to see her, not harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back