Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Sudan
Current Location
Sudan
I feel as if there is something unusual about the use of “Thinking” in “Thinking Arabic Translation”. What does it exactly mean here?
• NB
Thinking Arabic Translation
A course in translation method:
Arabic to English
Second edition
James Dickens, Sándor Hervey
and Ian Higgins

I feel as if there is something unusual about the use of “Thinking” in “Thinking Arabic Translation”. What does it [STRIKE]exactly[/STRIKE] mean here?

[STRIKE]• NB[/STRIKE]

Source: Thinking Arabic Translation, A course in translation method: Arabic to English, second edition, by James Dickens, Sándor Hervey and Ian Higgins

Please note my corrections above. I have no idea why you put a bullet point and "NB". Remember to put book titles in italics, and keep all the source information on the same line.

I'm honestly not sure what the title is supposed to mean.

I would interpret is as Thinking (about) Arabic Translation.

We use something similar when we say "I'm thinking Thai tonight for supper" or "I'm thinking new shoes are in order."

Usually it's more common in spoken English, but I suppose they're trying for a colloquial sounding title or something.

Looking at the definition of "intersemiotic translation" as opposed to literary translation, I think a much more likely interpretation is: thinking the way Arabs think.

Please note my corrections above. I have no idea why you put a bullet point and "NB". Remember to put book titles in italics, and keep all the source information on the same line.

I'm honestly not sure what the title is supposed to mean.

Thank you very much for your corrections.I hope you explain to me what is wrong with the use of the adverb "exactly" before the verb "mean".

Thank you very much for your corrections. space after a full stop I hope you can/will explain to me what is wrong with the use of the adverb "exactly" before the verb "mean".

I crossed it out because it wasn't necessary. If I'd left it in, I would have had to move it because it wasn't in a natural position. If you really want to use it, say "What exactly does it mean here?" or "What does it mean here, exactly?"

For what it's worth, it sounds plain awkward to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back