Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone recently wore nail polish. Can I use "freshly polished"?

Is this okay?

Jim put his hand on her arm. It slowly slid down until he reached her fingers. They were freshly polished with scarlet. He cradled one finger, pulled it closer and kissed it.

Yes, but you can't say "recently wore." That means she is no longer wearing.

You also probably mean finger nails, not her fingers.

Yes, but you can't say "recently wore." That means she is no longer wearing.

You also probably mean finger nails, not her fingers.
Is this okay?

Jim put his hand on her arm. It slowly slid down until he reached her fingers. Her nails were freshly polished with scarlet. He cradled one finger, pulled it closer and kissed it. The smell of her polish lingered in his nose as he got up to take a bottle of champagne.

I'm not sure, but I think we usually refer to nails as being freshly 'painted' rather than 'polished'.

I've only done it once though, so I'm no expert.

I'm not sure, but I think we usually refer to nails as being freshly 'painted' rather than 'polished'.

I've only done it once though, so I'm no expert.
So, is this okay?

Jim put his hand on her arm. It slowly slid down until he reached her fingers. Her nails were freshly painted with scarlet. He cradled one finger, pulled it closer and kissed it. The smell of her polish lingered in his nose as he got up to take a bottle of champagne.

So, is this okay?

Jim put his hand on her arm. It slowly slid down until he reached her fingers. Her nails were freshly painted with scarlet. He cradled one finger, pulled it closer and kissed it. The smell of her polish lingered in his nose as he got up to get a bottle of champagne.
I think it would be better with my suggestion.

"Fingers polished " could mean that the fingers have been smoothened with sandpaper.
Nail polish is also called nail lacquer. You could say "fingers lacquered/fingers applied with nail polish".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back