Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What did the guy say at 04:15? [
]

... and you talk too much about them, they goes "Oh, all right, we won't kill them but we'll give them a strong sanction."

... and you talk too much about them, they goes "Oh, all right, we won't kill them but we'll give them a strong sanction."
What is the meaning of "they goes"?

It means something like 'they react with the attitude of'.

He should have said 'they go', not 'they goes'. He doesn't speak carefully.

Go and be like are common alternatives to say for many people these days, usually in the present tense.

The past tense of those "say" alternatives is also common where I live. For example,

So George went "What the f*ck?" and I was like "Chill out, man. Be cool."

When you say 'figurative', Svetlana, are you asking if it's a literal quotation of speech? If so, the answer is no. The quote is meant only as a way of expressing a general attitude.

i don't understand your question. The meaning is the one in Oxford. It's hardly figurativ
i don't understand your question. The meaning is the one in Oxford. It's hardly figurative.
I thought that the meaning in Oxford is close to what you are saying is the meaning of "they go".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back