[Grammar] they did something and in doing so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

What is the grammatical structure of "in doing so"? Can it be used for a hypothetical action? Or is it about past actions?

Are these correct? How can I explain its grammar?

1. The government should increase the plastic tax. In doing so, the consumption of plastic will decline.

2. They have decided to ban fossil fuels. In doing, they have helped the environment.

Grammatical structure? It's a preposition phrase. Is that what you mean?

I don't understand what you mean with your other questions. You could use it in a sentence expressing a hypothetical action or a past action, yes.

1) Use By instead of In.
2) No, that's completely wrong. Did you intentionally omit so?

What do you want to explain? Why?

Your question is a mess, in my opinion. If you want to learn how to use in doing so, why don't you just ask? Or better still—look up lots of good examples of authentic use and try to work it out for yourself.

Last edited:
I'd use "By doing so" in those examples too. For me, the difference between "By doing so" and "In doing so" is the relationship between the two actions or occurrences.

I plan to save £100 every month from now on. By doing so, I will have £1200 by next November and I will be able to buy a plane ticket to Australia. (The action now will result in another action in the future.)

Without turning on the light, I got up in the night to pee and tripped over the cat. In doing so, I twisted my ankle and broke a rib. (The two are inextricably linked. Tripping over the cat caused the twisted ankle and the broken rib.)

I hope the cat's OK.:-?

Jutfrank is right. I should have asked my question like this: What is the different between "by doing so" and "in doing so".

So, "in doing so" is used when we can clearly see the result? Can't we use it to talk about something that will happen in the future?

Could you offer other examples?

Is it used in an informal situation when a cat and peeing is involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know sometimes they say "in so doing" instead of "in doing so".

Is it correct to also say "by so doing"?

Banning fossil fuels is a prudent measure. By so doing, we would reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.

Is this correct?

Jack cheated on his Clara and in doing so, he ended his marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back