Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Is the sentence grammatically correct, and is 'both' an indefinite pronoun in the example?

They both were arguing.

If "they" are Peter and Tom, and Peter is arguing with Tom, then say "They were arguing". That's it. You could say "They were arguing with each other" but the last three words are unnecessary. In that context, "both" is redundant.

However, if "they" are Peter and Tom, and Peter is arguing with Helen and Tom was arguing with Nigel, you could say "They were both arguing" but you'd have to go on and explain who was arguing with who. Note that the word order I have used is much more natural than that in post #1 - I won't go so far as to say you won't hear "They both were ...", but it's not common.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, Rollercoaster1, is there any reason why you used "fighting" in the thread title but "arguing" in the actual post?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, Rollercoaster1, is there any reason why you used "fighting" in the thread title but "arguing" in the actual post?

I didn't observe it. Could you change the title?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back