Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd like to ask you a question, which I find confusing. I know the general use of these tenses, however in some cases they're conceived relatively. I'm going to show you an example.

- This government is the worst that we've ever had. Not only have they increased bureaucracy, but also they've released new taxes. There are too many ministers. They aren't doing anything except stealing or They don't do anything except stealing. And the truth is that they're making the same mistakes, which the opposition made or They make the same mistakes.

I assume that the present progressive can work out here, because the term of the government lasts for 4 years, so we can understand that these negative actions won't last forever.
However they (politicians) might do it regularly.
Please, help me.

I'd like to ask you a question about a point which I find confusing. I know the general use of these tenses. However in some cases, they're conceived relatively. [What does that mean?] I'm going to show you an example.

- This government is the worst that we've ever had. Not only have they increased bureaucracy, but they've also [STRIKE]they've released[/STRIKE] introduced new taxes. There are too many ministers. They [STRIKE]aren't doing anything except stealing or They don't do anything except[/STRIKE] do nothing but steal. [STRIKE]ing.[/STRIKE] And the truth is that they're making the same mistakes which the opposition made. [STRIKE]or They make the same mistakes. [/STRIKE]

I assume that the present progressive can work [STRIKE]out[/STRIKE] here, because the term of the government lasts for 4 years. [STRIKE], so we can understand that these negative actions won't last forever.[/STRIKE]
However they (politicians) might do it regularly.
Please, help me.
Yes, it's okay to have a mix of tenses in a single paragraph.

Could you explain me why you used ,,They do nothing, but steal"? And why ,,They're making the same mistakes"?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back