Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello to all,

I want to say why people travel from Eastern Europe to countries in the middle east.

1-First, is there an expression for a place where the weather is always cloudy?

2-And secondly is it correct to say "sun-deprived"?

People from Eastern European countries which are sun-deprived prefer to travel to places with glorious weather.

I want to add an idiom or expression about the countries where the weather is always cloudy.

1. No. There are no countries where the weather is always cloudy.

2. I've never heard of countries being sun-deprived.

1. Places with extended periods of cloudy weather are often called "gloomy".

How about "countries which receive less sunshine"?

You'd need a comparative - less sunshine that what/where?

The comparison was made in the first post between Eastern Europe (countries with less sunshine) and the Middle-east.
As a standalone term, perhaps we can say "countries with a low amount of sunshine".

I think sun-deprived is quite suitable for your purposes, i.e. to describe places with relatively low average sunshine.

However, I disagree that Eastern European countries actually are sun-deprived, even in comparison to the Middle East. It's too much of a generalisation.

I think sun-deprived is quite suitable for your purposes, i.e. to describe places with relatively low average sunshine.

However, I disagree that Eastern European countries actually are sun-deprived, even in comparison to the Middle East. It's too much of a generalisation.

What is the other way of saying low average sunshine? High average of cloudy days?

For every utterance you ask about, always tell us this:

1) Is this utterance meant for speaking or writing?
2) What kind of speaking/writing? Formal/informal, casual, academic, ...
3) Who is the target listener/reader?

If we know all of this, we can advise you on the best ways to say what you want to say.

Google Seattle winter and read some of the results. You'll find a plethora of ways writers have found to describe a place that's overcast for months on end.

For every utterance you ask about, always tell us this:

1) Is this utterance meant for speaking or writing?
2) What kind of speaking/writing? Formal/informal, casual, academic, ...
3) Who is the target listener/reader?

If we know all of this, we can advise you on the best ways to say what you want to say.

You are right.

It's meant for speaking. Semi-formal situation.

Google Seattle winter and read some of the results. You'll find a plethora of ways writers have found to describe a place that's overcast for months on end.

I really liked this :

Despite stretches of warm temperatures and light precipitation, the chronic presence of a claustrophobic ceiling of opaque grey skies tends to burden the psyche for months on end.

I hope some day I can write and speak like that myself.

I really liked this :

Despite stretches of warm temperatures and light precipitation, the chronic presence of a claustrophobic ceiling of opaque grey skies tends to burden the psyche for months on end.

I hope some day I can write and speak like that myself.

Trust me. That person worked at it. It didn't come naturally.

Perhaps:

dreary
spirit-sapping

(We have rain here in Charlotte, but it never lasts a whole day. The same for overcast skies. (A possible exception is when a tropical storm passes through.))

Trust me. That person worked at it. It didn't come naturally.

I know. It's not so easy to be this creative with words. It's my dream to be like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to improve at writing is to write.

I stare at the overcast sky so dreary
I wish I could rest, because I feel weary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back