There's a dog aiding you on your investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I made up these sentences and gave my understanding as follows. Please correct it if they are wrong.
1) There's a dog to aid you on your investigation.
(1a) The investigation has not started, and the sentence tells us a dog is to aid you.
(1b) Whenever your investigation is on, a dog aids you.

2) There's a dog aiding you on your investigation.
(2a) The investigation has started, and the sentence tells us a dog is aiding you right now.
(2b) It conveys the same meaning as (1b), which means whenever your investigation is on, a dog aids you.

What's the point of this? What are you trying to achieve? It seems as if you've deliberately tried to be unclear.

Why don't you just tell us what you want to say?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the point of this? What are you trying to achieve? It seems as if you've deliberately tried to be unclear.

Why don't you just tell us what you want to say?
Because it's really very confusing. To put it simply, in what contexts would you say sentence (1) and sentence (2) respectively?

You are using a very odd technique to "learn". Only you know what you mean. It's really strange to write a sentence yourself, then come up with two possible meanings and ask us which one is right. Surely you knew which one of those meanings you wanted to convey when you wrote the original sentence. It's entirely understandable to quote someone else's words and ask us to help with the meaning, but asking us to explain your own words is bizarre.

You are using a very odd technique to "learn". Only you know what you mean. It's really strange to write a sentence yourself, then come up with two possible meanings and ask us which one is right. Surely you knew which one of those meanings you wanted to convey when you wrote the original sentence. It's entirely understandable to quote someone else's words and ask us to help with the meaning, but asking us to explain your own words is bizarre.
Thank you. I think I should close this question, and change the way I am using.

Agreed. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back