Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello, it's me again.
I'd like to ask whether the word thereof can serve as an ultimate substitude for of it. In particular, is it possible to say command thereof or knowledge thereof? Thanks.

Hello, it's me again.
I'd like to ask whether the word thereof can serve as an ultimate substitude for of it. In particular, is it possible to say command thereof or knowledge thereof? Thanks.
It would depend on context, but "knowledge thereof" is fine.

It would depend on context, but "knowledge thereof" is fine.

Then, could you please specify some cases when it's incorrect to replace of it with thereof?

Then, could you please specify some cases when it's incorrect to replace of it with thereof?
In fact, I can't think of any at the moment. I'll have a think about it and let you know, unless anybody else comes up with anything in the mean time.

If you take 'context' as I do, to include the situation surrounding the utterance, then substituting 'thereof' for 'of it' would be inappropriate in most informal contexts. If I said to MrsK 'Let's dish the curry up in the kitchen and proceed to the consumption thereof while we're watching CSI' she would be most surprised - though not very, as she knows me ;-). 'Thereof' is intrinsically formal.

b

Well, thank you both for the detailed explanations.

If you take 'context' as I do, to include the situation surrounding the utterance, then substituting 'thereof' for 'of it' would be inappropriate in most informal contexts. If I said to MrsK 'Let's dish the curry up in the kitchen and proceed to the consumption thereof while we're watching CSI' she would be most surprised - though not very, as she knows me ;-). 'Thereof' is intrinsically formal.

b
:);-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back