Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
There was a sound.

A sound was heard.

Are they both correct/natural?

They're both grammatically correct. Whether they're natural or not depends on what you're trying to say. They don't mean the same thing.

Suddenly, a sound was heard/there was a sound.

Adding the word 'suddenly' doesn't give us much more idea of what you want to say. In what context was the sound heard?

Adding the word 'suddenly' doesn't give us much more idea of what you want to say. In what context was the sound heard?

The room was silent. Suddenly, a voice was heard/there was a voice.

The room was silent. Suddenly, a voice was heard [STRIKE]there was a voice[/STRIKE].

In my opinion, you don't need either.

A sound/voice [suddenly] broke the silence.

Last edited:
The room was silent. Suddenly, a voice was heard [STRIKE]there was a voice[/STRIKE].

In what cases would I use there was a voice?

I can't off-hand think of a situation in which I'd feel the need to say There was a voice.

I can't off-hand think of a situation in which I'd feel the need to say There was a voice.

When do we say there was a sound?

When the context calls for it.

I think suddenly doesn't go well with there was something.
A direct subject works better than a dummy subject following suddenly.

I think suddenly doesn't go well with there was something.
A direct subject works better than a dummy subject following suddenly.

I just found this on Longman...
Suddenly, there was a loud bang.

Is this the same as 'Suddenly, a loud bang was heard.'?

I just found this on Longman:

Suddenly, there was a loud bang.

Is this the same as 'Suddenly, a loud bang was heard no full stop here'?

No! Without wanting to get into the whole "If a tree falls in the forest and no one's there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" debate, saying that something happened and saying that someone heard it aren't the same thing.

No! Without wanting to get into the whole "If a tree falls in the forest and no one's there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" debate, saying that something happened and saying that someone heard it aren't the same thing.

So, I say that there is a sound when it's not important whether anyone heard it. Did I get it right?

Yes and no. If it's important to say that someone heard a sound, say that. We've said several times in this thread that we find "there is/was a sound" is rather unnatural.

Perhaps:

The silence was broken by a loud bang.

The suddenness is implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back