[General] There isn't one COVID case reported in North Korea....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last year I read a piece of news about North Korea. It says that the country hadn't reported any COVID cases because they didn't let people go in their country and also they close their borders, not doing businesses or anything with any countries. I wrote a sentence to express the idea:

There isn't one COVID case reported in North Korea yet because the country closed its itself and never communicate with the outside world.

Is my italic sentence natural?

Last year, I read a piece of news about North Korea. It [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] said that the country hadn't reported any COVID cases because they didn't let people [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] into their country and [STRIKE]also they close their borders, not doing[/STRIKE] stopped doing [STRIKE]businesses[/STRIKE] business [STRIKE]or anything[/STRIKE] with [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] all other countries. I wrote a sentence to express the idea:

There [STRIKE]isn't[/STRIKE] hasn't been [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] a single COVID case reported in North Korea yet because the country has closed [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] itself off [STRIKE]and never communicate with[/STRIKE] to the outside world.

Is my italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Write "Covid".

Write "Covid".

I'm not sure if this article will be accessible to everyone so, in case you can't read it, here's a précis.

The Guardian (a leading British broadsheet newspaper) was accused, by a scientist, of "incorrectly" writing Covid-19" instead of COVID-19. The Guardian explained that, like most British newspapers, they use all capitals for abbreviations that are spoken as a collection of letters (BBC, IMF, NHS) but a single capital letter followed by lower-case for acronyms that are spoken as if they're a single word (Nasa, Covid, Unicef).

The end of the story is: "The reader was remarkably understanding given that her query turned out to be more than passing curiosity: she was busily correcting scientific articles by authors who’d adopted the media’s style. We each apologised for having caused the other work and moved on better informed about our respective fields."

So they rewrite NASA?

And then there are all the acronyms that have no capitals, like laser, scuba, posh, snafu, and radar — once again proving the rule that there are no rules!

Those all started off as acronyms, but through use they became familiar to many and became lower case.

The story about the supposed luxury nautical origins of 'posh' have been largely dismissed for lack of evidence. Origins relating to thieves' slang or the Romani word for 'half' are suggested as more likely origins of the term.

Ergo, 'posh' probably never was an acronym to begin with.

So they rewrite NASA?

Yes, that seems bizarre to me too. It looks very strange to me in lower case. I don't think I've ever seen that.

Yes, that seems bizarre to me too. It looks very strange to me in lower case. I don't think I've ever seen that.

I was surprised by that one too. However, I have seen "Unicef".

The lowercase in the logo is purely a graphic design choice rather than a grammatical one. They talk about some of the stylistic choices on their logo history page. For several variations, the globe icon dotted the 'i' on the lowercase text.

Uppercase in the logo would visually overwhelm the globe icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back