Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
There is nothing left but to go.

Is the sentence above correct? If it is not, would you correct it please.

Thanks for your help.

It's grammatically correct but I can't think why you want to use it.

Why? Does it make sound illogical? For example:

'He has nothing left but to win this game.'

What do you think it means?

In my opinion it's like, he has to win this game, he has no other chance. He has no valuable thing no longer except for winning this game.

You could say "He can but win" meaning it's the only option, but it's not very natural.
More likely is something like "He absolutely must win this game!"

There is nothing left but to go.
I don't think it's right. You might mean "There is nothing left to do but [to] go".
"There is nothing left to do but [to] win the game."
"To win the game is the only thing left to do."
But then you seem to be saying that that's not your intended meaning. You actually want to say that if he doesn't win the game, nothing at all is left anywhere for him, and perhaps for others. In that case, we don't express it like that in English.
"There's nothing left for him in life if he doesn't win the game."
"If we doesn't win the game, he might as well shoot himself."
This doesn't happen so often, so that probably led to the misunderstanding of your sentence.

So, we can say that the sentence which ''He has nothing left but to win this game'' has a close meaning with the sentence "He absolutely must win this game!", am I right?

So, we can say that the sentence which ''He has nothing left but to win this game'' has a close meaning with the sentence "He absolutely must win this game!", am I right?

Sorry Raymott, I have not seen your answer before I sent this message.

It is okay now.

As a matter of fact, I wanted to say the first one which is "There is nothing left to do but [to] go''.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back