There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) There is building opposite the Max hospital across the road.

2) There is building opposite to the Max hospital across the road.

Do opposite and opposite to mean the same here?

We use "opposite of" when we are talking about the logical things but "opposite to" is used for the physical things. Am I correct?

It should probably be:

1. There's a building across the road from Max Hospital.
2. There's a building opposite Max Hospital.
3. There's a building on the opposite side of the road from Max Hospital.

The word "opposite" in #2 is a preposition. I don't think "opposite to" works there.

Last edited:
It should probably be:

1. There's a building across the road from Max Hospital.
2. There's a building opposite Max Hospital.
3. There's a building on the opposite side of the road from Max Hospital.

The word "opposite" in #2 is a preposition. I don't think "opposite to" works there.

I checked the link but I am still confused about "Opposite to". Is there a way to determine where we have to use "Opposite to" and where we have to use "Opposite of" or just "Opposite"?

"A political philosophy that was opposite to everything she believed in" can this be written as "A political philosophy that was opposite of everything she believed in"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the link but I am still confused about "Opposite to". Is there a way to determine where we have to use "Opposite to" and where we have to use "Opposite of" or just "Opposite"?

"A political philosophy that was opposite to everything she believed in" can this be written as "A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in"?

When you're talking about physical location/position, I can't think of any reason to use "opposite to".

The idea in the two sentences you have now given is completely different to that in post #1 when you were talking about buildings.

My house is opposite the hospital. (This is the use of "opposite" you needed in post 1.)
My house is the opposite of small. (This is the use of "opposite" demonstrated in post 3.)

When you're talking about physical location/position, I can't think of any reason to use "opposite to".

The idea in the two sentences you have now given is completely different to that in post #1 when you were talking about buildings.

My house is opposite the hospital. (This is the use of "opposite" you needed in post 1.)
My house is the opposite of small. (This is the use of "opposite" demonstrated in post 3.)

This word has a meaning opposite to that word.

This word is opposite of that word.

Are these sentences correct?

"A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in"? Could you please tell me whether this sentence is correct or not?

This word has a meaning opposite to that word. :cross:
This word means the opposite of that word.

This word is opposite of that word. :cross:
This word is the opposite of that word.

Are these sentences correct?

"A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in." Could you please tell me whether this sentence is correct or not?
It's not a complete sentence so it's not correct. However, the use of "opposite of" is correct in the sentence fragment.

See above.

See above.

"A political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in her whole life." Is it a complete sentence now (I added "her whole life" to it)? I got this sentence from the link that was provided in the second post. Would it be correct with "Opposite of", if it was a complete sentence?

So where do we use "Opposite to" could you please tell me? Could you please give me few examples so that I can understand?

No. It's still not a complete sentence. Try putting something before "a political philosophy". That "something else" should include a verb.

Forget about using to after "opposite".

No. It's still not a complete sentence. Try putting something before "a political philosophy". That "something else" should include a verb.

"It was a kind of political philosophy that was the opposite of everything she believed in her whole life."

"That "something else" should include a verb" I don't understand this.

Even though you didn't understand my suggestion, you managed to do what I asked!

I asked you to put "something else" (some other words) before "a political philosophy". I wanted you to make sure that one of those other words was a verb. You did that by adding "It was a kind of ...".

I was thinking of something like "Corbynism is a political philosophy that is the opposite of everything she believes in".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back