[Grammar] There is/are a man and a woman at the door. (please read fully )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Advanced English grammar by Martin Hewings quotes,"if the noun phrase consists of two or more nouns in a list, we use a singular verb if the first noun is singular or uncountable, and a plural verb if the first noun is plural"
"Example- When i opened the fridge there was only a bottle of milk, some eggs, and butter."

Based on the above explanation, There is a man and a woman at the door should be write. But I think it is not. So what point am I missing in the above quote?

If I understand correctly, you're missing Hewings' main point. He's talking about cases where there is a conflict. That is, when one noun is singular and the other is plural.

In your example, both man and woman are singular, so his rule doesn't apply.

There's a man and two women at the door.
There are two women and a man at the door.

I've just re-read the OP and I see now that I missed the point. It doesn't actually matter if there's a conflict. The rule still applies.

So what is the conclusion?
Does "The rule still applies" mean that "There is a man and a woman at the door" correct instead of "There are a man and a woman at the door"?

I found a relevant post.
A sentence like 'There are a man and a woman waiting to see you' is grammatical, but I cannot imagine many native speakers coming out with it.

Unless it's particularly relevant, we don't necessarily specify the gender of people who are waiting for someone. I would accept all of the following in BrE:

- There's a man waiting to see you.
- There's a woman waiting to see you.
- There's someone waiting to see you.
- There are two people waiting to see you.
- There's two people waiting to see you. ("There's + plural noun" is used extensively in BrE. I don't recommend using it in exams.)

If the two people were a man and a woman, I would only make that clear if asked.

John: There are two people waiting for you.
Sarah: Who are they?
John: No idea. They wouldn't give their names. It's a man and a woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back