Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#44404]Source : Special Lesson for Korean SAT by EBS, page 29, question 7

[/FONT][FONT=&#44404]Much of the written evidence historians of ancient times must use is the equivalent of what our legal system calls “hearsay.” It comes from writers who lived long after the events that they relate and often contains much local folklore and tradition that may or may not be accurate. Furthermore, sometimes the level of “hearsay” between the “witness” and the original event is even greater. The writings of some ancient authors survive only in quotations from their work by other ancient figures. The history of Egypt written by Manetho, an Egyptian priest of the early third century BCE, is known only through such quotations. The same is true for the work of the Hellenistic Babylonian priest, Berossus. Thus, not only were these authors writing long after the events they were describing, but we also have the added problem of trying to decide whether or not they were quoted correctly. Obviously, the historian has to analyze such sources with great care and seek independent validation of their testimony from archaeology or other texts.

Are the "quotations" written by original authors or the later figures or authors who used them in their writing? This part is confusing to understand the theme of this passage.

[/FONT]

The later authors claimed that the earlier writers wrote them.

I have a very slim volume by a historian which claims to contain all that we actually know about the ancient Greeks. The author states that most of what we imagine we know about them was actually invented in nineteenth century Britain.

We only know what Socrates said from the writings of his students like Plato. They're probably trying to quote as accurately as they can, but can you quote accurately thirty years afterwards? I imagine some key points would stick in the memory and others would be more impressions.

I didn't know Socrates spoke English.

I wonder whether Einstein was a distant descendant of Socrates, because the internet claims both of them said a lot of things they never said. ;-)

Last edited:
I didn't know Socrates spoke English.

I imagine he didn't either, but don't quote me on that. And did he take the photos?

I wonder whether Einstein was a distant descendant of Socrates, because the internet claims both of them said a lot of things they never said. ;-)
I must be related. There are lots of things I've never said.

Apparently, more than one American president has been quoted as saying that the French have no word for entrepreneur. Another internet quote claim.

51rb7bCIx8L._AC_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back