Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,
the thread for disscusion, as I am not really sure (though, I think it is correct) whether the word "slurry" is used correctly below:

The name of a "thing":
  • slurry of tar (this one is used in the game Mortal Shell, so I guess it is correct)
  • slurry of shit (this one I want to verify, if it might be correct)

As the definition in Merriam-Webster goes: "a watery mixture of insoluble matter (such as mud, lime, or plaster of paris)" IMO if You add the following "of ..." it defines what it consists of and describes rather the "shape". The thing is, that the word "slurry" itself suggest the thing and could stand all alone.

Anybody?

Tar isn't watery. It's oily. That use might make sense in context, but don't assume that people who write text for games always use words correctly.

Anyhow, I'm sure you get the idea, and that's what language is all about.

I do think Webster's definition is a bit misleading - they're using 'watery' to mean something like 'not viscous' rather than literally 'water-based'. A slurry can be based on any liquid, although water is common.

I disagree that any mixture thick enough to stand on its own (or even hold peaks) is a slurry. A slurry is thinner.

Adding 'of' does of course allow you to describe the non-liquid component it contains, but 'of' has nothing to do with shape. A slurry is shaped only by the vessel containing it. Spill it out on an even surface, and a slurry will spread out to level, assuming something like temperature or a chemical reaction doesn't solidify it first.

Last edited:
Your second option is definitely correct. "Slurry" without qualifiction, is used by British farmers to mean a watery mix of animal faeces which is sprayed on the land as fertiliser.

Your second option is definitely correct. "Slurry" without qualifiction, is used by British farmers to mean a watery mix of animal faeces which is sprayed on the land as fertiliser.

That substance is known in AmE as liquid manure.

That substance is known in AmE as liquid manure.

That can be any liquid formulation, we used to make one from comfrey leaves for our organic garden. The slurry is definitely the stuff that comes out of the cow shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back