Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I often get to translate research papers that explore education in the Russian Empire (1721–1917). I need to know if it is OK to omit 'the' in front of 'Russian Empire' in both the title and text of a paper if the word follows the name of a particular region.
Here is a made-up example:

1) Title: 'The System of Public Education in Penza Governorate, Russian Empire';
2) Text: 'This paper explores the system of public education in Penza Governorate, Russian Empire'.

Last edited:
Yes, it's OK.

It would work the same way with 'United Kingdom', wouldn't it? Here is an example from the Internet: 'The Future of Regional Development and Public Investment in Wales, United Kingdom'. It would be correct to say 'This paper explores the future of regional development and public investment in Wales, United Kingdom', woudn't it?

Yes. Or even "UK."

If you're worried, you could say the Penza Governorate, Russian Empire.

If you're worried, you could say the Penza Governorate, Russian Empire.
Both ways seem to be acceptable. I've chosen not to use 'the' with governorates. I just wasn't completely sure about the use of 'the' with 'empire' after a region or town. Here is an example from the Internet: "Sam Dolgoff was an anarchist and anarcho-syndicalist from Russia who grew up and lived and was active in the United States. Dolgoff was born in the shtetl of Ostrovno in Mogilev Governorate, Russian Empire (in present-day Beshankovichy Raion, Belarus), moving as a child to New York City in 1905 or 1906, where he lived in the Bronx and in Manhattan's Lower East Side where he died. His father was a house painter, and Dolgoff began house painting at the age of 11, a profession he remained in his entire life.". Does this text sound natural to your ears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back