The way to use pro-verb. - we kinda wish we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi
Context is that someone illustrates many groundbreaking inventions.
Then, he says like this,

• Well, here are a few inventions we didn’t think of. But you know what, we kinda wish we had.

I guess something is omitted after "had" due to redundancy, isn't it?
Maybe "we kind we wish we had (done) or (thought) ?".

Hi
The context is that someone[STRIKE] illustrates [/STRIKE] talked about many groundbreaking inventions.
[STRIKE]Then, he says like this,[/STRIKE] He said:

Well, here are a few inventions we [STRIKE]didn’t think[/STRIKE] have not thought of. But you know what? We kind of wish we had.

I guess something [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has been omitted after "had". [STRIKE]due to redundancy. [/STRIKE][STRIKE]isn't it? [/STRIKE]
Maybe "we kind of we wish we had (done) or (thought) ?".

The sentence is fine without anything after "had" as "thought of" that is said in the earlier part is understood.

It's a shorter way to say "We kind of wish we had thought of them."

Hi.

The context is that someone [STRIKE]illustrates[/STRIKE] was talking about many groundbreaking inventions. [STRIKE]Then,[/STRIKE] He [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] said: [STRIKE]like this,[/STRIKE]

• Well, here are a few inventions we didn’t think of. But you know what? We kinda wish we had.

I guess something is omitted after "had" due to redundancy, isn't it?
Maybe "We kind of we wish we had [STRIKE](done) or[/STRIKE] thought of them".

Please note my corrections above.

There is nothing wrong with "we didn't think of" in the opening sentence of the quote (I note tedmc changed it but there was no need). The part starting with "But" and ending with "had" needs to be separate sentences because the first part is a question.

There is no need for anything after "had", as ted said. If you really wanted to add something, it would need to be the words I have added above.

This is what is called verb phrase ellipsis, where the verb phrase is 'left out', really to avoid repetition.

... we kind of wish we had [thought of (those) inventions]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back