The village belonged to another century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

The village belonged to another century. It was a catastrophic jumble of mud-brick houses separated by bumpy, intertwining alleys.

What's so catastrophic about it? It sounds absolutely beautiful to me.

Does it do B'n'B?

I don't get the use of "catastrophic" there either.

What's so catastrophic about it? It sounds absolutely beautiful to me.

What if the person who lives there doesn't like the fact that the houses are so crammed inside the alleys and that there is a lot of noise and smell coming from the other houses and there is not much space?

Would it be correct in that case?

It would, but those of us who live in big cities might still find it attractive.

Wouldn't that make more sense with a city than a village?

I apologize. I meant "claustrophobic". The browser's auto correct function must have changed it to catastrophic.

Is this correct and natural now?

The village belonged to another century. It was a claustrophobic jumble of mud-brick houses separated by bumpy, intertwining alleys.

I apologize. I meant "claustrophobic". The browser's auto correct function must have changed it to catastrophic.

The village belonged to another century. It was a claustrophobic jumble of mud-brick houses separated by bumpy, intertwining alleys.

Yes, though one would expect houses in a rural area to be spaced out rather than crowded, as "claustrophobic" implies.

Last edited:

It's not terrible.

Yes, though one would expect houses in a rural area to be spaced out rather than crowded, as "claustrophobic" implies.
I think he's safe. A village can still be a tight cluster.

The person who invented autocorrect should rot in hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back