Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand dash, or --, is sometimes used as interruption in a sentence, but am not sure if I used it correctly in the following sentence.

This highlighted the pitfalls of interpreting realism as simply a measure of accuracy, or worse--sophistication.

What I want to express is that accuracy or sophistication is not what realism is all about. But of the two, misintepreting realism as a measure of sophistication is considered worse. So have I used the correct punctuations?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use it there. I'd keep with the comma and repeat the "as."

"... or (even) worse, as sophistication."

I understand dash, or --, is sometimes used as interruption in a sentence, but am not sure if I used it correctly in the following sentence.

This highlighted the pitfalls of interpreting realism as simply a measure of accuracy, or worse--sophistication.

What I want to express is that accuracy or sophistication is not what realism is all about. But of the two, misintepreting realism as a measure of sophistication is considered worse. So have I used the correct punctuations?

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't use a dash here either. You could use a dash as follows:
This highlighted the pitfalls of interpreting realism as simply a measure of these two concepts -- accuracy, and worse, sophistication.
That's a slightly awkward sentence, but it keeps 'accuracy' and 'sophistication' together, and is a correct use of a terminal dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back