[General] The use of brackets and commas

• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,995
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack(who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet)in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May.

VS

Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack, who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet, in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May.

I want to use the commas, but it would make it sound like I met him on a lonelyplanet in Thailand, when lonelyplanet is a website for travelers. That's why I changed the commas into brackets.

Are both sentences okay?

"Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack, who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet, in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May."

Perfect standard punctuation. I doubt that there is a style manual in the world that would disagree. Why mess with that?

Wow, thank you so much Probus. I just want to say that although I've only been on this forum for a week, my English has already improved leaps and bounds, and it's because of moderators like you who have helped me achieved this. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the use of "also"? Have you recently been talking about another guy you met there?

Should "lonelyplanet" be capitalized?

Right now, I'm deciding if I should join Jack(who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet)in Thailand and Malaysia sometime in early May.
If you decide to use brackets, you need a space before and after them - "... Jack (who's also a fellow I met on lonelyplanet) in Thailand ..."

I am not a teacher.

I think there is less room for error by using brackets.

A misplaced comma changes the meaning; brackets are harder to misplace.

Instead of who's also a fellow,you could use another fellow. By the way, fellow in this sense is a bit old-fashioned in British English.

In AmE we prefer guy to fellow. Has this usage taken hold in BrE? Or what would you say instead of fellow?

Guy is common in BrE too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back