Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is "The twins" a set phrase? If I don't know the twins and just accidentally saw them going to swim, can I say "Two twins went swimming after lunch"?

The twins went swimming after lunch. (https://learnersdictionary.com/definition/twin)

Last edited:
No, it isn't a set phrase.

Yes, you can. The article The is used only because the speaker wants to make reference to a specific set of twins. Your sentence, which doesn't use a definite article, doesn't do that, which is fine in a different context.

Your question here is really about use of articles, and nothing to do with the word twins. Perhaps you should review how to use articles.

"Two twins" seems redundant to me. Or could be mistaken to be talking about 4 people (two sets of twins).

"Two twins" seems redundant to me. Or could be mistaken to be talking about 4 people (two sets of twins).
Not to me. I'm describing something I just saw: twin brothers going to the swimming pool. How else would you say it?

I certainly wouldn't understand "two twins" to mean four people. That would be two pairs or sets of twins.

I've thought about this. But if I say "Twins went...", would it also sounds like there were more than 1 set of twins? Or actually I can use "a set of twins"?

I've thought about this. But if I say "Twins went...", would it also [STRIKE]sounds[/STRIKE] sound like there [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] was more than [STRIKE]1[/STRIKE] one set of twins? Or can I actually [STRIKE]I can[/STRIKE] use "a set of twins"?
You can say "two twins", "a pair of twins", or "a set of twins". Although I suggested the last version above, I'm not crazy about it.

Modals are followed by the infinitive. Spell out small numbers. Please make sure you form questions correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back