Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Do you know the time that/when the trash truck comes by our house?

Hi,
The above is also another sentence from a grammar book here. According to the traditional grammar which I learned at school, the correct answer is "when" but the grammar book says both are acceptable. Is it right? Thanks,

"Do you know when the trash truck comes by our house?" That's what I'd say.
The '/' punctuation is very unfortunate unless it only separates two words. Is the first choice "the time that" or "that"?
Both "Do you know the time that the trash truck comes" and "Do you know when the trash truck comes" are correct.
"Do you the time when the trash truck comes" is not so good in my opinion, but I can't see the average person objecting to it.

Do you know what time the trash truck comes...

would be more natural than the time that.

I think it is possible to say 'Do you know the time the trash truck ...'.

It's possible but not as natural as jutfrank's version.

What I'd really say is, "What time does the garbage truck come? Do you know?"
I think "by our house" would normally go without saying.

I'd probably combine them into one sentence, as the original did, but using "what time".

Do you know what time the binmen come?

In the UK, we don't use "garbage truck". We might use "rubbish collection" but then the question would be "Do you know what time the rubbish collection is?" We refer to the people who collect the rubbish as "binmen". Of course, these days jobs have much more high-falutin'-sounding names so a job advert would probably say a company was seeking "domestic waste operatives" or something similar.

We don't say 'trash'. But trash, garbage, rubbish, waste, refuse ... it doesn't change the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back