[Grammar] The sun will shine all day tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waawe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1/ The sun will shine all day tomorrow.
2/ The sun will be shining all day tomorrow.

Are the above-mentioned both correct? If so, what is the difference, if any?

In what context do you wish to utter these words?

Does your reply mean they can be both fine depending on the context?

Will shine = expression of certainty
Will be shining = expression of an activity in progress at a future time?

No context sadly.

Why don't you have any context? If you need to know which is correct, you must have a reason for asking us. That's what 5jj is asking for. He doesn't want to know the context in order to decide between them. He simply wants to know why you want to say them at all.

No context given. I wish I could think of some. I will work some out. Didn't know that the difference between the two can't be pointed out without any background.

It's not necessarily that we can't tell you any differences. We want to know why you're asking. Is it homework? Did you see a similar sentence somewhere and just randomly come up with two sentences of your own? I'm pretty sure you didn't just wake up yesterday morning and simply think "I know. I'll write two completely random sentences and ask those nice people at UsingEnglish about them!"

A textbook says to choose the correct future form in the sentence: According to the weather forecast, the sun ______________ (shine) all day.

That is it.

OK, we're finally getting somewhere. We now know that this is an exercise from a text book. You should have told us that in post #1. In addition to that, you should have told us the title and author(s) of that text book. Once you provide that information, we'll be able to help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back