Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which preposition should I use in the following sentence? Are they interchangeable in the following sentence?

- The streets in/of Delhi are very narrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

"Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed."

Both are possible.

Thank you everyone. I know I got my answer but it did not clear my doubt. Like this case, I see many times in and of are interchangeable without changing the meaning.

I have seen with the definite article the 'of' is more suitable with of. So I searched on the Internet and found that there were more writing with phrases like "The people of India are.....", "The constitution of India is..." than "The people in India are..." and "The constitution in india is....". Could you please explain?

I would say the use of in is more general, to do with something being/located in a place. Whereas on is used to imply a sense of something belonging to a place or of possession of it by a place.

Last edited:
I would say the use of in is more general, to do with something being/located in a place, whereas [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] of is used to imply a sense of something belonging to a place or of possession of it by a place.

See above.

Thank you Emsr. But can you please tell me of the two following sentences which one sound most natural and why? Does the use of the make the one using of more natural?

- The people In japan are good at mathematics.

- The people of japan are good at mathematics.

Thank you Emsr2d2. But can you please tell me which of the two following sentences [STRIKE]which one[/STRIKE] sounds most natural and why? Does the use of the make the one using of more natural?

1. The people in Japan are good at mathematics.

2. The people of Japan are good at mathematics.

Please note my corrections above.

The use of "The" is correct in both. However, omitting "The" from sentence #2 would render it grammatically incorrect.

With your new context, changing the preposition changes the meaning. Sentence #1 refers to everyone in Japan (everyone currently located in that country), regardless of their nationality. Sentence #2 refers to Japanese people (people who are entitled to Japanese nationality regardless of where they live).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back